The shift from print to digital is well underway as educators and students seek engaging, streamlined reading experiences to achieve their learning goals. That’s why VitalSource Technologies, the world’s leading e-textbook provider, and Blackboard have partnered to deliver all the benefits of the VitalSource® Bookshelf® within the Blackboard Learn platform.
Blackboard Learn & VitalSource Bookshelf
An exceptional e-textbook experience
As tech-savvy students’ expectations for anytime, anywhere content increase, institutions are motivated to find more creative ways to engage these students and effectively manage courses.
A win for instructors
Instructors can take a critical first step towards digital adoption with easy access to digital textbooks and analytical tools for usage reporting, all directly within the Blackboard Learn platform.
A win for students
Students get an affordable way to purchase and access course materials on multiple devices, and with cutting-edge features such as integrated notes, highlights, annotations, and more.
A win for institutions
Institutions get simple content distribution, a uniform student experience and integrated analytics.
The integrated solution is designed to meet institutions’ unique needs and business models:
- Tuition Inclusive: Ideal for career schools and higher education schools that include textbooks as part of the tuition. Students are pre-licensed to have access to their course textbooks within their Blackboard Learn environment.
- Student Choice: Instructors can search, sample, and adopt VitalSource Bookshelf e-textbooks, and make them available directly for students to purchase within their Blackboard course environment with a single click.
Meeting expectations of learners & educators
- Mobile: This is the first time students and instructors will be able to access both their courses and e-textbooks through Blackboard Mobile™ Learn, which is available as a native application on iOS and Android devices. VitalSource e-textbooks are configured to work with the Apple iPhone®, Apple iPad®, Apple iPod touch®, Android™, and Amazon Kindle Fire® devices in addition to online/browser-based access. And, no matter how or where e-textbooks are read, the notes and highlights will always be in sync.
- Savings: Institutions and instructors have the opportunity to recommend a lower-cost textbook option to students. Students can purchase their course materials for less than a used or rented printed textbook.
- Clarity: An improved reading experience allows instructors to direct students to the exact section of an e-textbook. This eliminates any confusion with students about required readings, leading to higher engagement in course materials.
- Choice: Institutions and instructors have access to a complete catalog of e-textbooks because of Vital Source’s collaboration with over 300 publishers from around the world. Instructors can sample content they are evaluating directly within their course, and adopt those titles they choose to use.
Download the Building Block
The free Bookshelf by VitalSource Building Block is available now on Behind the Blackboard for higher education institutions that license Blackboard Learn 9.1, Service Pack 8 and higher. The technology is available to institutions in the United States, Canada, Europe, the Middle East, Australasia, Brazil, Central and South America and South Africa. It will be bundled with future service packs by the end of 2013, making it easy for institutions to automatically take advantage of the solution.
System administrator resources
Faculty & student resources
- VitalSource Bookshelf tutorial >
- Instructor Guide: Initial user pairing for Bookshelf by VitalSource Building Block >
- Instructor Guide: Adopting & managing VitalSource eTextbooks & links >
- Instructor Guide: Managing VitalSource Resources >
- Instructor Guide: Viewing student scores & attempts >
- Student Guide: Student choice registration >